Alcohol Poisoning Treatment

Alcohol Poisoning Treatment Alcohol poisoning is extremely dangerous – potentially even life-threatening – so if you see someone exhibiting symptoms, it’s important to get them medical attention as soon as possible. Alcohol poisoning treatment is crucial because poisoning occurs when there’s so much alcohol in a person’s bloodstream, parts of the brain responsible for basic functioning begin to shut down (National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism).

Symptoms include:

  • Mental confusion
  • Inability to wake up
  • Vomiting
  • Seizures
  • Slowed or irregular breathing
  • Hypothermia, bluish skin color, paleness

Alcohol poisoning can also cause the senses to weaken, including the gag reflex, which could cause someone with alcohol poisoning who vomits while unconscious to be at risk of choking and dying from a lack of oxygen.

Alcohol Poisoning Treatment: What You Should Do

Alcohol poisoning treatment should be administered by professionals at a hospital. If you cannot get the person immediate medical attention, however, take these steps:

  • Keep the person in an upright sitting position.
  • Give them water if they are able to keep it down without vomiting. (This will help flush the alcohol out of their system and lower their blood alcohol content.)
  • Keep the person warm.
  • If they are unconscious, lie them on their side.
  • Make sure the person is not left alone and monitored at all times.

Read more:

Get-The-Help-You-Deserve

Alcohol Poisoning Treatment: What Not to Do

There are several urban myths about how to help a person with alcohol poisoning, but the fact is that many of these myths will actually make the situation worse.Avoid:

  • letting the person “sleep it off”
  • giving them coffee (this will only make them more dehydrated)
  • putting them under a cold shower, which could impact their temperature and circulation
  • make them walk them around

Alcohol Poisoning Treatment at Hospitals

The hospital staff will insert a tube into a patient’s mouth to help them breathe and circulate oxygen. The patient may also be given an IV to provides them with fluids to combat dehydration and low blood sugar. The hospital will likely pump the patient’s stomach by flushing fluids through a tube that goes through the patient’s nose or mouth to help clear the body of toxins.

To avoid alcohol poisoning, monitor your alcohol intake and avoid drinking to excess. If you are worried that your drinking habits could lead to alcohol poisoning, you should research local support groups or alcohol poisoning treatment rehabilitation centers to help you overcome alcoholism.­­

Whatever path to recovery you choose, our staff has access to hundreds of treatment centers to assure the best personalized treatment for you, then with continued follow up to help you make the transition to sober living as seamless as possible.

Our trained staff of professionals are qualified to help you assess what type of treatment will be the best fit to ensure you or your loved one gets the help you need.

But how does one go about finding the right program?

If this all looks very overwhelming....it is! But that's what we are here for. Call us at 888-205-8608 and we can help make this process much easier. We will narrow down all of these aspects and find the best program for you or your loved one with all your concerns considered. It's as simple as making that first call. And the best part is that we are a free service. The road to recovery starts here!

888-205-8608
We are a free service

contact us today